Sunday 11 May 2014

Week in Review

What an amazing week! After my last pity party post, I spoke with my husband about the way I was feeling and he was pretty quick to remind me how with our LOC gone it's going easy to be to save up and purchase things we want. Going on one nice vacation a year isn't going to be stressful anymore because, as long as we plan for it, it'll be paid. I felt like a pretty big idiot and extremely selfish after writing that post and talking to G but, oddly enough, it got me into a really determined mood for the rest of the week.

1st good news: G & I celebrated our two year marriage anniversary on Tuesday! I can't believe how much our lives have changed (for the better) in such a short amount of time. In true shift-work life fashion: I worked during the day, picked up takeout, came home (he had a huge bouquet of flowers waiting for me on the dining room table), we ate dinner together, and then he went to work, lol. How romantic ;)  We were going to go out for dinner, but he was on call starting at 5pm and he didn't want to be the jerk that left his wife alone at the restaurant on their anniversary. A good call on his part I think!

2nd good news: I'm transferring! Right now I work out of town and I'm driving one hour roundtrip everyday. This was fine because when I took the position there I was really desperate for a job and it was the only decent posting in the area. Now a position has opened up at the local office here in town and I told my manager (who runs both offices) that the drive was getting really difficult for me and if they didn't give me that job I was going to have to look at other options. I guess my forwardness paid off because she told me they want to keep me on the team and she was going to speak to her boss but that it shouldn't be an issue. She told me on Wednesday everything is official and I will be starting either after my vacation or early June. Yay! The only thing is I will be working less hours. I currently work 33 hours a week and I'll be going down to 24. BUT I crunched some numbers (of course) and at the end of the day I'm going to be breaking even because I'm going to be saving huge money on my gasoline consumption! I don't even need to use the car because the office is a 5 min walk from my house and an even shorter bike ride. G also brought up the good point that we are going to be putting less KM's on the car, so less oil changes, tires will last us longer, etc etc etc. This is seriously going to work out so much better for us. We are a single car family as well, so if G ever needed the car for anything he would have to drive me to work, drive back home, do his running around, drive to pick me up, and drive back home -- 2 hours of driving in one day... It was getting to be too stressful for both of us. Oh! And the bonus: my benefits aren't going to change, neither are my vacation or sick days. Woohoo~!

3rd good news: I've been side hustling! The determination continued into the weekend and I spent all day yesterday cleaning out our basement. G had built me some wooden shelves for storage so I arranged my stockpile of coupon-ing deals (mostly cleaning products and paper goods that don't expire) and then organized the rest of the basement. We were able to recycle and throw out so much I honestly don't understand why we didn't do this sooner. I've never realized how much space our basement has (and how much junk was in it)! Anyways, I found some items that we didn't use anymore that are still in working shape so I took photos, the measurements and put them up on our local Buy and Sell Facebook group. Everything was sold in under an hour and I made $87 :o) Pretty good for just a days work! The determination has actually continued on today as well and I cleaned out our coat closet, storing all the winter boots and coats downstairs and then I went thru my spring jackets. I am letting go of four coats that I don't wear/having reached for in the past year. I will be putting those will go up for sale next weekend. Any money I'm making from selling items is being snowballed into our emergency fund, as we are going to have to tap into it this month (but I'll explain that in a different post).

Overall it was a pretty awesome week for me, even budget wise. We had all our bigger payments come out (mortgage, insurance, cell phones), so now there is just a couple more smaller bills and then we can focus on the LOC. The interested posted to it last night so I know we should be getting the bill soon. As if I need a piece of paper reminding me I need to pay the stupid thing: it's all I ever think about. But I do get a lot of satisfaction out of writing 'PAID' across the top and filing it, lol. I hope I'm not alone with that one... haha

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment