Monday 18 May 2015

796 Items

           That is how much stuff I’ve been able to get rid of so far this year. That’s a lot of stuff and there’s still a lot more…

            One of my personal goals this year is to go thru the items we have and get rid of anything not adding value. I found a little notebook (why do I have so many notebooks?) to start writing down and tallying how much I’ve been able to sell, donate, give to friends and throw away.

            It’s been an on going process, and I believe it always will be an on going process, but each time I felt up to it I would tackle a small area at a time; one bookshelf, one set of drawers, bed side table, etc. And days when G was working nights or I had the weekend by myself I would tackle larger areas like my closet.

            This weekend we got some boxes and I was able to pack up all of the items that were in my donate pile, which was actually more like a room because our entire spare bedroom was filled with Rubbermaids and other boxes waiting to be packed. I’m going to give myself until the end of June and then call for a pick up from the Canadian Diabetes. G is gone for two weeks of training so I know the organizing bug is going to bite me hard to keep the boredom at bay.

            Also a friend of mine just came over and picked up a recliner and two DVD stands. It matches the couch we had given to her late last year when we got our new couch delivered. I didn’t ask anything for these pieces (both the couch and the chair) because they were hand-me-downs from my parents when we first moved out and I didn’t feel right asking for something. I’m just glad she could use them and I didn’t have to haul them to the dump, lol.

            The thing that surprised me the most was how many boxes of items were still packed from when we moved over 2 years ago. That stuff was easy to say goodbye too since we had clearly forgotten about it.

            The only other area I still need to really work on is the basement. Most of the other areas in the house are finished or aren’t as big of a project as the basement is going to be. Slowly but surely it’ll get done.

Anyone else been organizing or Spring cleaning?


            - M

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it an amazing rush to.... errr....relocate things from your house? :-) I am excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Seriously, we were holding onto some pretty weird things lol

      Delete