Wednesday 20 July 2022

Meal Prep Weekend & Grocery Spending

The weekend of the 9th was the prefect storm for doing some batch cooking at home. We literally had rain storms on and off all day so it was the amazing day to stay inside. G switched to nights at the beginning of the week and then we left for a camping trip so I wanted easy meal starters to have in our fridge. Basically all the prep work is done we just have to throw together a meal we are craving!

I quickly made up this super simple Buffalo Chicken Salad in our food processor for a few lunches during the week. I love serving this on a Tomato & Basil Rice Cake with cucumbers on the side. The nice thing about this recipe is it’s one that taste way better the next day! Next time I go to make this I’m going to make a double batch - which should get me thru the entire work week. 

I also roasted a chicken like I mentioned in my last post. I was able to pick off 1lb 7oz of chicken, which we will have with lunches or dinners. We didn’t get thru all the meat before we left so I froze some of the meat for meal ideas later.

My sister sent my a Reddit link that showed someone making Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower tacos. I happened to have both butternut squash and cauliflower at home so I figured this was meant to be! If you are looking for a way to go meatless for a meal I would HIGHLY recommend this recipe. I made everything except the avocado mash (Irony: my $10.00 avocados did not ripen in time) nor did I pickle my onions (personal preference). I also knew I needed to prune my basil pot, so I was brain storming some ideas and looking for some recipes when I stumbled across this roasted corn, rice and pesto salad. I figured it would be a great side or on the tacos themselves. Again: I was blown away with how good this turned out. I didn’t have any fresh corn so I actually rehydrated some dehydrated corn (I do this myself) and roasted that on a cookie sheet. This recipe makes a lot of salad but again, it was amazing to have during the week. 

We had two trips to the store last week: $20.53 & $137.46. The bigger shopping trip was G picking up items for our camping trip last weekend. We went with some friends and each of us was in charge of different meals. If you can’t tell with our list, we were in charge of pizza bush pies. We definitely over estimated the amounts we needed but we have been using the meats as snacks and froze an entire loaf of bread.

I had the worst migraine Wednesday night that lasted into Thursday, so G had picked me up some Mr Noodles because I was severely dehydrated from throwing up. He also bought the Epson Salts so I could take a bath and try to relax. He did a really good job at the store and got so many items on sale! 
  • Produce
    •    
  • Diary
    • Coffee Creamer - $3.84
    • Sour Cream - $5.69
    • Margarine - $3.49 - We cannot take butter camping, it gets too cold in the cooler, so camping is the only time we eat margarine
    • Shredded Mozzarella - $5.99 (sale)
    • Shredder Cheddar Mozzarella - $5.99 (sale)
    • Cheese Curds - $5.99 (sale)
  • Meat
    • Salami - $10.99
    • 2 Pepperoni Packages - $9.98 (sale)
    • Pepperoni Sticks - $9.29
    • Ham Slices - $6.49
  • Breads/Baked Goods
    • 2 loaves Wonder Breads - $6.00 (sale)
    • Hot Dog Buns - $3.00 (sale)
    • Burger Buns - $3.00 (sale)
  • Pantry
    • 4 Rice Cakes Packages - $11.00 (sale) - I eat these with cottage cheese for lunch most days
    • 4 cans of red kidney beans - $5.96 (sale)
    • 4 cans of black beans - $5.96 (sale)
    • Hazelnut Spread - $4.99 (sale) - This is a treat for G when we go camping, he likes making dessert bush pies with hazelnut spread and bananas 
    • Canada Dry Tonic Bottles - $6.26 (sale) - Another camping must have for G, Gin and Tonic’s is his drink of choice
    • Canada Dry Ginger Beer Bottles - $6.26 (sale) - Moscow mules are my drink of choice right now so this was a camping must have for me!
    • San Pellegrino Lemon Cans - $8.51 
    • 2 Pizza Sauces (squeeze bottles) - $5.98
    • Fibre1 Bars - $4.99
    • 3 Mr Noodles - $6.27
  • Misc
    • Epson Salts - $8.99
  • Household
On Monday we were in the city for a medical appointment and we did a big shop at Costco. We stocked up on a lot of items we were running out of. I’ll go over our spending for this week in a later post but we are trying really hard not to go grocery shopping for the rest of the month. Finger’s crossed that we can eat from our stock pile!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment