Monday 11 April 2022

New Skills

At the end of 2019 G bought his dream car. A beautiful, Mazda 3 Hatchback - super sporty looking. Only one issue (for me): it’s a manual. G specifically wanted a manual vehicle and it was hard to find one he liked. He was frustrated that companies are going away from these sort of cars, opting to only have automatic for a lot of their lines. I, on the other hand, completely understand. When he first got the car I had a few short lessons around our little town. Stalled a lot, got frustrated at the car (it’s the car’s fault after all) and got the car home, parking outside and not in the garage.

Flash forward to last week when we are organizing ourselves for friends who are coming to visit with their two little ones. G needs to take the automatic SUV to the city to pick them up from the airport but I need to go to work (which is a 30 min drive in the opposite direction). The leaves me two options: 1. Get a ride to work or 2. Learn to drive the Mazda.

This weekend I had two lessons. There was lots of stalling, lots of “your too fast off the clutch” or “your too slow off the clutch” and I learned terms like “blip” when I go to downshift. Yeah, my anxiety was thru the roof all weekend because I already said I would drive myself to work on Monday.

This morning I woke up way before my alarm and couldn’t sleep anymore. I got ready, made sure G had his phone off silent (he’s coming off night shifts) in case I needed rescue, reviewed my notes (yes I made myself notes) and left for work. 

And guess what: I didn’t stall once! My first downshift was a bit jerky but my second one went better. I was nervous around a Stop sign at a railroad crossing, so there is a bit of a hill, and although I almost stalled there I caught it before it happened. (If you can’t tell my big issue is with the lower gears, 3-6th gears I’m good). 

I’m hoping my way home tonight will go just as well, and although I’m still a little nervous, I can feel my confidence building. 

Wish me luck & pray I don’t ruin G’s dream car, lol

- M 

No comments:

Post a Comment