Saturday 11 June 2022

Productive Weekend

Last weekend was super productive for us. It was beautiful weather: sunny, hot and hardly any wind! I focused on yard work while G plugged away at organizing his dad’s items in the garage. 

I got all the yard furniture and planters out of our storage shed. Gave everything a good wash. And then planted all the flowers I had purchased in the city last weekend. My regular flower bed has all my perennials - so I focus mostly on planters around my deck and patio. This is perfect because if we need to move before fall, I’m able to pick the planters up and move them to the new house. 

I also planted my small garden (again - in raised beds/planters from Costco so I’m able to move them). We decided to plant a few more peppers this year - 3 different verities to try out. I planted my usual combo of lettuce and spinach, but also am trying a bit of kale to see how that does. Another planter is full of snow peas, and I’m really hoping these do well because we love snacking on them! We are also trying to grow pickling cucumbers for the first time this year. I do have these planted in the ground so I only purchased three plants to grow up the trellis behind my flower bed. I’m hoping we can get a few harvests out of them before we would have to move. We’ve never canned pickles before and it’s something we want to get more into as G loves pickles! 

Besides those traditional garden plants - I made a small herb garden. We finally used up the last of our frozen rosemary from 2020 over the winter so I need to stock up the supply again if possible. I only have one rosemary plant so far but I hope it’ll do well. *fingers crossed*

That evening we had friends over for our first real fire of the year. I had purchased some smokies to cook over the fire and made a quick pasta salad. Our friends brought some potato salad and scones to have for dessert. It was a good thing she brought something sweet because we forgot to stock up on marshmallows! We had none in the house (not even any stale ones from last year, lol). Definitely on the grocery list now.

Last Saturday was the perfect day - I hadn’t realized how much I missed sitting around the fire until the late hours of the evening. It made me excited for summer!

- M 

No comments:

Post a Comment