Monday 31 January 2022

Compensation

One of the main stressors in my life these last few months has been my job.

There were some changes at the beginning of 2021 that resulted in some key staff members leaving, putting a lot of stress in the office. Because of my background I was able to fill in and help out in certain areas. This was WONDERFUL. I was completely in my prime and had a lot of enjoyment. Every day was a new challenge and our General Manager seen how much I thrived with new responsibilities so added even more to my plate! Although, things were stressful, I had an amazing support system and was also compensated for my added tasks. I told G he wasn’t allowed to take a transfer for his job because I was finally feeling really happy in my career. 

Now fast forward to a few months. We are under new management, with new job roles. I had to take a pay cut effective January 1st 2022, however they haven’t caught up with switching job duties around so I’m still expected to do the same work for less pay until they figure out the transition. Not to mention the lack of communication… I had to ask if we were on probation once our new contract kick in - turns out we are, they just forgot to tell us (PS: it’s also not in the contract I signed but I didn’t tell them that). We have a staff fund that comes out of our paycheque, but they didn’t tell us how much that would be until I asked to see the policy they were wanting me to sign off on… Just the entire process has been extremely disappointing and frustrating. 

One nice thing about my reduction of salary is they offered me a one time payment of $7,078.00 - which reflects my difference in pay. We had the option to put all (or some) of that amount into an RRSP or get paid out. I choose the RRSP route which reflected on my paycheque today. Although I didn’t have to pay income tax on that amount, I did need to pay CPP, EI & Pension Adjustment. This resulted in a paycheque of $450.00… I was a bit shocked this morning, but that would be my own fault not thinking about that deductions. Luckily - we have some money left in our chequing account from G’s pay and all our automated payments have been taken out. So this next week and half is going to be very frugal! Good thing this week is starting off with a snow storm - so I definitely won’t be going far.

- M 

No comments:

Post a Comment