Sunday 20 February 2022

Isolation Day 5

Today is my last day of isolation! G, however, is allowed to go out into the world for us - his isolation ended today. Our symptoms have stayed mild - my headaches were only the first two days and I didn’t have any other issues other than off and on fatigue. G lost his smell for a bit but it’s back. 

We tried to be as productive as possible while locked in the house, lol. Every afternoon I deep cleaned a room - dusting, wiping down base boards and wall, reorganizing some areas that have been neglected. It didn’t take me long but it was something to accomplish. We also went thru our hiking/camping first aid kit to restock after the summer season ended - yeah that task has been on our To Do list since September… 

G has been tinkering a lot too. We have a toaster oven that the on/off switch doesn’t always like to work. Eventually, after many times of pressing it, it does eventually go but we have known something was off. G looked into it and I guess the switches are prone to corrosion over time. G loves to take things apart and isn’t afraid to rebuild if necessary. He reminds me a lot of my dad. I have this vivid memory as a child of my dad sitting on our kitchen island with a soldering gun, fixing something we thought was broken. In this case, G went online and found a pack of 20 switches for $2.60. I looked to see what a new oven would cost us if we do need to purchase a replacement if the button stops working entirely: $320.00 at Canadian Tire. I will gladly pay the $2.60 if that small replacement will save us $317.40. I think G was also going to email Breville to see if it would be covered under warranty (although we’ve had this oven for a few years already) - but it doesn’t hurt to try! 

Other than that, I spend a lot of my day memory planning and reading, G would play computer games and mess around with his 3D printer. 

When the pandemic first started, the government closed down libraries so I had no way to borrow physical books. I went online to see if there were other ways to borrow, and sure enough I was able to find the Libby app and sign up via my library card. I didn’t enjoy reading eBooks at first but I didn’t have a choice - I got used to it quite quickly. I was using our extremely old iPad 2, and Libby was one of the only apps still supported on that old of a version. One day back in October the Libby app finally stopped for good and my poor little iPad was aged out of any function. :( Although I’m miffed that the iPad still works, I didn’t mind getting an upgrade either. We bought an iPad Air and I use this thing for everything! We have a keyboard I can connect it too so I wrote all my posts, read my library books, use it for recipes, browsing, streaming - worth every penny! I have no idea what to do with my ‘retired’ electronics though. 

G went off to the Co-op to pick up groceries for the week. Our fridge was looking a bit bare but these 5 days were defiantly not difficult. This morning I celebrated the upcoming grocery shopping with a latte, I was hoarding the last little bit of milk just in case we needed it for a recipe. 

Waiting for groceries! & yes, our sour dough starter is named Joan of Starch 

Here the meal plan for the week:

Tonight: Pizza, G and I have both been craving pizza. We are using sauce from the freezer and G is making the dough fresh.
Monday: It’s Family Day, so I have the day off but G has to work. I’m making a Balsamic Braised Pot Roast, slow cooked in the oven with potatoes and carrots
Tuesday: Leftovers
Wednesday: Salmon with salad
Thursday: Lasagna from the freezer
Friday: Freezer meal Friday (G is working nights so whatever we are individually craving we can cook up)

- M


1 comment:

  1. ha I just tested positive Saturday Feb 21st. Probably had it a few days before that. This is my first unless you count the covid cousin I had Nov 2019 to Jan 2020.

    DH is negative so he will head back to work tomorrow.

    Glad to know you are both on the mend and that you used your time well.

    ReplyDelete