Saturday 5 February 2022

Good News Friday

Yesterday was the perfect day to end a stressful week.

My manager’s goal was for everyone to “have a day to breath”. And that’s exactly the kind of mood everyone was in. It was still an extremely productive day for me, but without the looming deadline pressures. 

A subcontractor, who I have been helping on a project with, emailed me saying how impressed she continues to be with my work and if I ever need help with my career path to let her know and she will do her best to try to make it happen for me. Getting her recommendation/reference has been in the back of my mind for a while and I was eventually going to ask when the time was right but I feel even better that she approached me about it. This will make the 3rd recommendation offer from people I have worked with in the past 2+ years. And their references come with a lot of connections, so I know how much weight that has not even 10 years into my career.

So why this talk of job references? Well that leads me into my next good news:

G has been training and studying for the last year for a certain qualification that would make him the ideal candidate for a unit he would really like to get into. He has been talking to the Corporals of that unit to flat out ask what he needs to do in order to make his name go to the top of the list. Last April, he got this qualification training approved to get paid for, and has been studying ever since. Yesterday, he wrote the exam - very quietly I might add… lol. He didn’t even tell me until the day of when he was letting me know he was shutting off his phone for a bit. I didn’t make a big deal out of, just texting back a super casual good luck, even though I kept checking my phone all afternoon to see if he texted. He passed! This is perfect timing too because someone from the unit called him a few weeks ago to give him the heads up that there is a strong possibility that a position would be opening up in the next few months. Now with this certification under his belt, he’ll be ready when it does come up. We’ve been at this current posting since 2016 - so I definitely know staffing wouldn’t deny him a transfer either.

Lots a moving parts though, so not trying to plan to far ahead…

To continue with a wonderful Friday, N made it out to my place for our movie night! Night shift ended up stopping by (N worked with G so these were all her coworkers before she transferred) for a slice of pizza and to catch up + some caffeine before heading back out. N and I kind of watched the movie once they all left, but mostly caught up with each other. I need to make it to the city soon to see her new house! N and I have always had a no pressure friendship - we can go months without seeing each other but once we do it’s like no time has passed and we pick up seamlessly right where we left off. Although, our friendship is that way I do want to make more of an effort to come out to see her or let her know if we are in the city for appointments, if she can catch lunch or coffee. I know how much I would appreciate the thought (even if it doesn’t work out for her to come see us/me).

Starting Friday with a good mindset set the wheels in motion for a Feel Good Friday, and that good mood is continuing on into the weekend! I have my beef stock simmering, roast in the slow cooker & a strong coffee next to me on the couch. Happy Saturday :)

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment