Tuesday 8 February 2022

Meal Planning, Canning, Baking & Grocery Budget

Meal Plan for the Week:

Monday: We had mini sliders using some ground beef and a few buns that have been in the freezer for waaaayy to long. G canned some red onions with garlic and jalapeƱos and left one jar in the fridge to use with our burgers. The rest of the jars (I think there were 7 in total), we put downstairs where the rest of our salsa lives. I have some bigger plans for canning experiments this summer - we have salsa down pat but I would like to try making some chutney’s and pie filling. This weekend when I was reorganizing our freezer upstairs, I found a bag of really REALLY old strawberries - I think the bag had more ice than strawberries, lol. I looked up a use for frozen strawberries and found a recipe for a baked crisp. I made that yesterday and was able to get 24 bars - which I individually packaged and froze. I took one to work today, to have with my coffee in the morning and it was delicious! I think I have some frozen rhubarb from my garden somewhere in the freezer downstairs that I can easily add to this recipe in the future. 

Tuesday: Sunday night I took out some chicken thighs (again from the freezer) and made a marinade for them. Tonight, G is baking those up with some roasted carrots and potatoes.

Wednesday: We are going to use up the rest of the baked chicken thighs but make a wrap out of them. Lettuce was on sale at our Co-op this week so we are defiantly trying to eat as much salad as possible. Wraps were in the pantry - so more of an idea to use those up too.

Thursday: Pork buns and salad. Again, when I was cleaning out the freezer upstairs, I found the last of our homemade pork buns we made in 2020. G and I both work days on Thursday, and the buns are an easy meal to throw into the steamer. I’ll cut up some cucumbers and red peppers to throw into the salad as well. 

Friday: Freezer Meal Friday! Lots to choose from here - we will see what kind of meal we are craving on Thursday and just take it out then. 

Saturday: We are having a double date night! A local restaurant is having a Valentine’s Day steak special so I booked spots for G & I and our friends, C & D. C just found out on Saturday that she has Covid, and she came over for pizza on Friday, so I’m holding my breath that we didn’t get it… if so, it looks like these Saturday plans will change, lol. 

I have a rough idea of things I want to make next week (I really want to make a Hamburger Soup on Sunday) but I try not to plan too far ahead because something always seems to come up… 

I calculated our final grocery bill from January and it came out too $339.77 (not including the beef purchase of $850.00). I had budgeted for $400.00 so I’m definitely happy with this result! The beef purchase is included in our grocery line officially but I know that will average out over the year for $70.83 /month. For February I will try to keep the grocery budget about the same - aiming for $400.00. I know G had to go to the store to pick up some fruit and cereal - which we were low on. He spent about $100.00, but purchased everything on sale! He washes, cuts up, and freezes all the fruits, which he then eats as a snack. I might try to go over the flyers with him every week to see if there is a fruit he would like that’s on sale, that way we can spread the stock up bill through the weeks and keep the rotation changing for him. I’ll see if we have the time to organize, lol. 

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment